Postpartum Processing After a Traumatic Birth
Personalized support to begin healing after an unexpected birth experience
"Birth is not over when the baby is born." -Penny Simkin
Processing the birth is a necessary part of the process as the parent is born. Owning and working through your feelings can have a positive impact on your perception of yourself as a parent and connection with your child.
Did you believe that yours or your baby's life was in danger during childbirth?
Did you fear a serious threat to yours or your baby’s physical or emotional integrity?
Did you feel any of the following during your pregnancy, birth, or immediately following:
- loss of control
- loss of dignity
- hostile attitudes of the people around you
- feelings of not being heard or the absence of informed consent to medical procedures
If you answered "yes" to any of these
You might have experienced Birth Trauma
Processing your birth
- quickly with someone trained in postpartum processing may prevent Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Postpartum Depression
- before your next birth can help you prepare and plan for increasing your control, communicate with your team, have a different experience
I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you!! You helped me feel confident in my decision making and feel prepared in this birth! It was a completely different experience from my first birth in the best possible way!
- Amy, one-on-one client
Mandy was amazing during our one-on-one session! She put my fears at ease about a possible induction, and helped me figure out how to support my husband! She is worth every penny!!
- Kimberly, happy client
- This is a one-time, 2-hour postpartum processing one-on-one session with Mandy Irby, The Birth Nurse
- Zoom video-conference or in-person for local parents, private and convenient
- Space and time for you to share your birth story, answer what questions I can, and dig into some of your feelings about the difficult parts. As a nurse, educator, and trained through When Survivors Give Birth training program, I have a unique perspective to help you process your birth that has the potential to aid in your healing and begin your journey into feeling like a powerful and whole parent
Once enrolled, you will have access to my online calendar so you can schedule your sessions at your convenience. You'll then get an email with a link for our Zoom conference, unique to the day and time that you have chosen. Zoom is mobile friendly, so you can chat by phone!
What You Won't Get
- This is not psychotherapy
- You won't get a diagnosis
- Judgement or criticism about your birth
I'm on a mission to prepare families to birth boldly, so that they can begin parenthood stronger than ever.
My absolute favorite part about bedside nursing is when I can help surprise a new mother with her own strength! Labor plays funny tricks with our minds. It makes us vulnerable, it's raw, it's scary. Many of us get to a point where we feel utterly defeated, overwhelmed, and that we simply Cannot do it. I know the truth, however, and can see the fierceness and power inside each birthing person. When they finally reach the finish line and look back at their journey while holding their little one in their arms, that look of "well dang, I actually did it" is my favorite part of the whole process.
I grew up in the suburbs of Kansas City but have happily called Virginia home for the last 15 years. I discovered a passion for childbirth while attending the University of Virginia and have been supporting pregnant, laboring, and breastfeeding women for the last decade. I absolutely love empowering expectant parents as they navigate pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum, in the classroom and online.