Healthy Mom, Healthy Baby
Let's cut the crap.
This is the phrase that has continued the silence on pregnancy anxiety, and that's not cool.
There are a million reasons why today's mothers are incredibly stressed out and fearful of childbirth.
- Expectations from family, friends, society, or yourself
- A less-than-stellar relationship with your provider
- Feeling terrified after hearing and seeing all of the scary birth stories out there
- History of a past loss or trauma
- Previous pregnancy or birth experiences
- History of sexual or physical assault (even if you've "moved on" feelings or reactions tend to resurface in unique ways during pregnancy/labor
- Countless unknowns in the future - what's the labor process like, hospital policies, does what I want matter?
Maybe you're overwhelmed by all of the UKNOWNS and WHAT-IF'S inherent in labor...
Or you have a few HARD STOPS that are keeping you from feeling like you can enjoy this important day...
(for example: episiotomy, emergency cesarean, phobia of needles, not feeling heard)
The key to beginning parenthood stronger than ever is to identify those HARD STOPS, or triggers, that are inherent in labor and birth and develop strategies to conquer them.
Work together, one-on-one, with an experienced L&D nurse and trauma-informed trained childbirth educator in 3 private video-conference sessions, to
- identify YOUR specific sticking points
- ways you can comfortably manage this anxiety and fear
- then develop strategies and techniques to handle anything that comes your way during the labor process
- outline a crazy-good birth plan that will work for you, NOT a wish list
- process your birth experience with a trusted professional to unpack any questions and get clear on your feelings
Your past, the hurdles you've already conquered, do not get to write your birth plan.
You are already resilient and have more coping strategies than you probably even realize!
This work isn't about learning a fancy, shmancy new labor method or complicated birth survival algorithm (though if I had one, we'd use it, because that sounds kinda cool)
It's much easier and faster than those types of techniques. We'll be getting really clear on what resonates with you, what's possible for your birth, what works for you and how your team can support that, and then enough time and energy in practicing what works so that you not only have a plan for your birth but also some kick a$$ skills for conquering postpartum and parenthood like it's your job! (oh wait...)
Are you ready to put in the work to have the positive childbirth experience that you deserve?
Get started now!
"Our sweet girl is 13.5 months! Mandy Irby taught our fantastic Lamaze class and then was our labor and delivery nurse! We still talk about how thankful we are to have had her as a part of our birthing process! 💗"
- Stephanie R., student
- 2, 2-hour strategy sessions Zoom video-conference, private and convenient
- 1, 1-hour postpartum processing session through Zoom video-conference, discuss your birth, process your reactions to facilitate healing
- Space and time to share your fears/concerns/triggers. As a nurse, educator, and trained through When Survivors Give Birth training program, I have a unique perspective to help you prepare for a birth that has the potential to aid in your healing and begin your journey into parenthood feeling powerful and prepared
- You will receive all of my notes taken during our sessions so that you can focus on being present instead of taking notes
- PLUS: The entire Ultimate Guide to Taking Control of Your Childbirth online Lamaze course!
Once enrolled, you will have access to my online calendar so you can schedule your sessions at your convenience. You'll then get an email with a link for our Zoom conference, unique to the day and time that you have chosen. Zoom is mobile friendly, so you can chat by phone!
What You Won't Get
- This is not psychotherapy
- You won't get a diagnosis
- Judgement or criticism about your birth plan
- Fluffy, feel-good answers all tied up in a bow
- Truth: childbirth is challenging. If it was a walk in the park, you wouldn't be looking for ways to make it smoother and less terrifying. It is a time of great vulnerability, openness, and rebirth. I can't tell you that it will be so awesome and you'll float out of that delivery with Super Parent powers because birth was easy...so I won't. I will tell you how awesome and powerful you are, and I'll help you discover coping mechanisms and tools that you already possess, and some that you can learn and practice, so that instead of breaking you, this birth can be empowering. It may not be pretty, that would require that I have magical superpowers, and I assure you I don't, but it doesn't have to break you, either.
I'm on a mission to prepare families to birth boldly, so that they can begin parenthood stronger than ever.
My absolute favorite part about bedside nursing is when I can help surprise a new mother with her own strength! Labor plays funny tricks with our minds. It makes us vulnerable, it's raw, it's scary. Many of us get to a point where we feel utterly defeated, overwhelmed, and that we simply Cannot do it. I know the truth, however, and can see the fierceness and power inside each birthing person. When they finally reach the finish line and look back at their journey while holding their little one in their arms, that look of "well dang, I actually did it" is my favorite part of the whole process.
I grew up in the suburbs of Kansas City but have happily called Virginia home for the last 15 years. I discovered a passion for childbirth while attending the University of Virginia and have been supporting pregnant, laboring, and breastfeeding women for the last decade. I absolutely love empowering expectant parents as they navigate pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum, in the classroom and online.